I found out I was pregnant a week ago Wednesday night. Could barely believe it. Was certainly in shock.
My suspicion had been growing for over a week and a half. My cycles are anywhere from 36-45 days at this point in my life and that makes figuring out "expected" timing difficult.
I'd had what I thought was my usual period the Sunday before, but then - suddenly - it stopped. WHAT?! Although that would have been right "on time" for my period, and despite all my crazy pituitary issues and PCOS crap, I'd never had a "period" suddenly stop.
Oh man.
What if that wasn't a period?! My mind kept stumbling...
If we'd conceived it would have been around the time of April 14th, and would have been with 100% accuracy, as it was the first month we had officially been trying and we only got in one attempt.
I was finally under the care of a competent and kind Reproductive Endocrinologist (she happened to be the third pre-conception visit we'd scheduled after we'd gotten married this last November). However she was far and away superior to the rest and I felt we were in very good hands.
I didn't test before last Wednesday, you see, because my cheapo 0.33 cent test strips had not arrived from Amazon yet, and you know, we just couldn't have possibly gotten pregnant the first month we were trying.
Not with all of my issues, you know.
That would be crazy.
But last week, I sat in this very spot on this couch and told my husband, that I just thought I was, and he offered to go to the drug store and buy a "real" test.
He bought one.
I would have bought 30.
But he bought one.
And I went into the bathroom with a disposable cup.
I dipped that stick and it immediately (before I could get my pants back on and hands washed) turned into a plus sign.
A Positive Pregnancy Test. The first month we tried.
Score.
He did. Very tentatively. Wide eyed and innocent looking.
We stood over the bathroom counter staring at it just lying flat there on the counter.
"What does that look like to you?" I said.
"Positive." He said.
And then we both just sort of stared at it and laughed nervously to ourselves.
He held me so gently and lovingly. So tender and thoughtful.
Don't get me wrong, I would be lying to say we weren't scared. I definitely felt a little bit like, "What the hell did we just do?"
I also felt a little guilty about telling my sweet husband for all of these years that I'm probably going to have trouble getting pregnant
...and there we were pregnant right out of the gate.
What luck!
Shock:
1
a : a disturbance in the equilibrium or permanence of something
Awe:
1
a : an emotion variously combining dread, respect, reverence, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime








